Monday, July 14, 2008

I Love My Nephew

I'm amazed at not just how he's an amalgam of all of us, but how palpably so.

It's like looking at Voltron.

He's taking over my mother's job as the household conduit - the person through him people communicate with each other. Or, more specifically, the kids communicate with father and father the kids. He is indomitable in his notion that he should actually try to prove points to the brick, rubber coated, glass-encased wall that is my father.

He goes out of his way to do everything for all of us.

And he does all this despite all the reasons he has to be bitter

Biological not involved
Bouncing around from home to home
Early health problems
How much time we didn't spend with him...planted in front of a TV.

I worry that, being a pleaser, he'll get taken advantage of...
But he get's in trouble for fighting at school. I choose to take that as a sign of standing-up-for-self.

He's growing...I have confidence that he will be what the subsequent generation is always supposed to be: greater than the sum of its parts.

He my dude. I don't believe in pride. Blessing is the only concept that comes close.

Let him be a beacon, God. Let him emit light.

(inshallah)

Blog Archive

Translate